How can i get cured for sharp pain around saliva glands and neck ?

ENT Specialist
hi there, past few months i've had sharp pain around my saliva glands and both sides of my neck, and two weeks ago i started to cough every time i ate something, all of a sudden this morning i woke up with extreme pain in the base of my neck, like someone is choking me, it hurts to swallow and the pain is really bad i can't move my neck without it hurting, I'm 20 years old. The only known disease I have is PSCOS
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

After going through your history, it seems to be like you were having inflammation of the lymph nodes in the region of the submandibular salivary glands. The inflammation was the reason behind the sharp pain in that region. These lymph nodes are like policemen of our body, any infection in the surrounding region it indicates in the form of pain and swelling.

Now you have developed acute infection and inflammation of the pharyngeal wall due to which you are having pain on swallowing and on moving your neck.

I would suggest you to consume plenty of warm water do gargles with Povidone Iodine mouth wash, avoid oily food and chilled food for few days till you recover. Also, consult your ENT specialist as you will be requiring oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines to control the infection and reduce the inflammation of the throat.

Hope I have answered your queries, any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar