How can high bilirubin levels with Hepatitus A infection be treated ?

Hello Doctor,

I am a 52 year old female American citizen living in Iraq. I have tested positive for Hepatitus A. I have had 2 ultrasounds and the last one stated that my gall bladder looks contracted and is full of thick bile sludge an debris, thick wall is noted, trace of echo free bile is seen.

My blood test results are:

GOT 919.8
GPT 2257
Alkalen Phosphat 147
Total Bilirubin 8.32
Direct Biluribin

I have had severe stomach pain in the last week in the gallbladder area and went to the ER hospital 4 times in a week. The doctor here says I dont need to worry about my gallbladder now. I am trying to go on a fat free diet.

My question is and my families is would it be wise if I return to my homeland of the United States for medical treatment and checkup for my gallbladder? The medical quality here is very low.

Thank you Doctor!
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 32 minutes later
Hi Lizbert,

You are severely jaundiced,and your bilirubin is very high.Your liver enzymes are also very high.This could be due to the hepetitis infection but usually these levels arent supposed to be that high due to hep A infection.Hep A is very common and usually self limited disease and doesnt cause any long lasting liver damage.SGOT/SGPT levels may become very high in hep A but bilirubin may not be so high.In your case,I would like to rule out associated liver conditions and obstructive jaundice as the bilirubin levels are so high.

I would suggest that you seek appropriate medical care ,even if it means going back to the US.

Follow-up: How can high bilirubin levels with Hepatitus A infection be treated ? 18 minutes later
Thank you- is my gall bladder problems due to the Hepatitus or could that be unrelated?
Follow-up: How can high bilirubin levels with Hepatitus A infection be treated ? 10 minutes later
I am not sure if I received your answer.

Is my gall bladder problems due to the Hepatitus or could that be related?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 25 minutes later
The gall bladder isnt due to the hepatitis.It could be unrelated to the infection but an added complication.Both gall baldder and liver inflammation can cause deranged liver enzymes.Usually hep A is pretty harmless and doesnt cause long term liver damage.But due to the severely high levels of liver enzymes there may be associated gall bladder problems,which i would like to rule out.Another ultrasound may be needed.