How can gamma and beta rhythms be analyzed ?

What fraction of patients have 3-6 min gamma rhythms above 60 micro-volts? What fraction of those have them in two places symmetric across the brain’s mid-plane, like the hippocampus? What fraction of those and consciously controlling it- when it starts, where it starts, and when it stops?
What I am looking for is an answer like a/N, b/N, c/N; where 'N' is the number of EEGs you have seen. Saying you haven't seen any like this is cool. If you want to give a distribution, like "0-14/2327", that is cool too. I am just look for solid quantitative numbers. Thanks in advance. Oh, and please be explicit in your response, I have cognitive difficulties and a thought disorder.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 8 hours later

I generally do not see questions left unanswered for 8 hours by other doctors, this is the first time. And when I opened it, I found the above questions.

Your questions are quite technical in nature and requires robust experience and specific study/clinical trials about EEG. Else an epilepsologist requires a thorough knowledge by going through the journals of Epilepsy.

Would you mind to wait for my answer while I take a curbside consult from an Epilepsologist and answer your query as best as possible?

Thank you for being patient.

Follow-up: How can gamma and beta rhythms be analyzed ? 46 hours later
I would like to give it to Dr. Mazumdar. I realize that my question is quite technical and understand that it might take a while to answer...
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 22 minutes later

Hope you are doing good.

The answer has a mixture of opinions from an Epilepsologist and my own.

Gamma rhythms are not routinely picked up in the EEG. Only beta rhythms can be picked up. As we do intracranial recording for refractory epilepsy patients we can see them over the ictal onset zone. As no one does it in normal patients we do not know much about it. Animal studies and few done during the surgeries (awake craniotomies) have shown it to occur over the somatosensory cortex and occurs during cross-modal sensory processing (perception that combines two different senses, such as sound and sight) Also is shown during short term memory matching of recognized objects, sounds, or tactile sensations

A decrease in gamma band activity may be associated with cognitive decline, especially when related the theta band; however, this has not been proven for use as a clinical diagnostic measurement yet.

So to conclude:

1. Gamma rhythms are not seen in routine eeg, my number is 0 / 1500
2. Normally are not seen in hippocampus, but over somatosensory cortex
3. It starts during cross modal sensory processing and cannot be controlled voluntarily

If you got the answers from these I am very happy.

Wish you Good Health.