How can diabetes be avoided?

On 19-Jan-2014: Checked my Fasting and Post Prandial Sugar Levels using Accu-Check Strips in a Pharmacy. Fasting Blood Sugar Level - 103 Post Prandial Blood Sugar Level - 203 Immediately with in a minute checked once again and found it as 186. Before the test had 6 idlis with coconut chutney. Decided to go for Lab test the next day. On 20-Jan-2014: Tested in lab. Fasting - 77 Post Prandial - 114 Before test had 6 idlis with groundnut chutney. Decided to go for OGTT doubting the result. On 26-Jan-2014: Underwent OGTT test with 75g glucose given at lab itself. Sample Type : Fluoride Plasma Method : Hexokinase Glucose Given : 75 Grams Fasting Plasma Glucose : 102 (70 - 100 mg/dL) Half Hour Plasma Glucose : 149 (100 - 170 mg/dL) 1st Hour Plasma Glucose : 213 (90 - 160 mg/dL) 2nd Hour Plasma Glucose : 195 (75 - 140 md/dL) 3rd Hour Plasma Glucose : 117 (70 - 100 mg/dl)
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 2 hours later
Brief Answer: impaired glucose tolerance. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX , Hi! you have not asked any questoin just posted all your reports. I can understand what is going on in your mind and what is the query. you want to know why so much of variation? and finally what is your status? are you diabetic. the answer is that glucometer and lab results will always vary . glucometer is a capillary test whereas lab is a venous test. gold standard is OGTT. now the cut offs are fasting >126mg/dl and 2 hr post glucose > 200 mg/dl. so as per these values you are still not diabetic. but you can't relax absolutely. you have impaired glucose tolerance i.e. you are prediabetic or you are at risk of developing diabetes if you do not take care. if you are overweight , reduce your weight, if you are smoker or take alcohol, quit. start exercising regularly. if you have family history of diabetes your risk increases.
Follow-up: How can diabetes be avoided? 13 minutes later
Hi Doctor, Sorry doctor for not being clear on my side. Regarding the status - I am married since 1 year and have a son of 3 months old. I don't have any diabetic history and not on any medication till date. I took the test with the strips casually while my mother was taking the test. This triggerred me in doing further tests including OGTT. My mom is diabetic since 10+ years and she has thyroid problem as well. Does thyroid has to do anything with the difference in the results. Do I need to undergo thyroid test as well? I will for sure do regular exercise and good diet. Dr Please suggest me what all I can do so that I won't become diabetic in the future. Do I need to start taking medicines or just regular exercise and good diet is enough for now? I have also attached my test reports for your perusal. Please suggest me what to do. I will do whatever it is from my side so that I can escape from becoming diabetic. Thanks, XXXX
Brief Answer: Pls do check your thyroid as well. Detailed Answer: hi sudershan. so you have a family history of diabetes and thyroid. that increases your risk of diabetes as well as thyroid. no medicine for now. regular exercise 45 to 60 min a day and diet regulation. still you did not tell me your height and weight. try to be around your ideal body weight. regards!
Follow-up: How can diabetes be avoided? 14 minutes later
sorry dr i missed it. dr my wt is 86kg and ht is 5ft 10in.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 13 hours later
Brief Answer: A little overweight. Detailed Answer: dear sudershan, you have a BMI of 28 kg/m2. so you are a little overweight for your height. you should be 70 - 75 kg for your height. if you lose 10 - 15 kg you will drastically reduce your chances of having diabetes. your BMI should be less than 25 kg / m2. regards.