How can dark under eye circles be treated ?

I have dark patches under my eyes i am a brown skinned women from the Fiji islands. I have tried all types of creams and potions it seems to be getting worse.
I have noticed when i am feeling unwell the patches get darker in colour.They make me look like a polar bear.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 42 minutes later

What you are having is dark under eye circles and they are very commonly found in asthma patients. In fact asthma is one of the causes of such dark circles apart from hereditary, advancing age, allergies, anemia, fatigue and liver problems. Vitamin B6 (Niacin) & folic acid deficiency can also lead to this problem.

First of all, try to avoid caffeine, because it promotes water retention and leads to the dryness of the eye. Eat a healthy, balanced diet, take vitamins and drink plenty of water. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables especially cabbage, spinach, and other leafy XXXXXXX vegetables and take a daily vitamin supplement. You can also apply almond oil or skin creams containing vit C or K, alpha hydroxyl acids and kinetin around your eyes.

However if the symptoms are severe then topical bleaching agents, chemical peels and laser therapy may be needed. These are available only under prescription and hence a dermatologist should be consulted for these treatment options.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.