How can chickenpox scars be lightened?

Hi my name is XXXXXXX I am 25 years old.I am light skinned black and, weight 160 lbs.I had chicken pox when i was 13 years old. It left me with dark spots all over my body and, specially my face.It also left me with discoloration and, pigmentations on my neck, chest,and elbows.I have been to many dermatologists and used multiple creams such as: Tretinoin cream(0.025%-0.05%),Tri-luma ,Azelex 20% and more.Unfortunatly without success. I am still using Azelex and tretinoin for the past 2 years. However, the spots remain pretty much the same.Can any one help me please?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 7 hours later
Thanks for the query

Chicken pox scars are very resistant to go.

Tell me, if they are just black spots or there are depressions too?

If there are depressions, then creams are unlikely to help- surgery and lasers are the only options we have for depressed scars.

If there are only pigmentary alterations, then I would suggest continuing with Azelex and tretinoin or Esoterica topical cream which is available over the counter. You can also apply Vit E capsules on these scars.

You may also discuss the option of Q switched Nd YAG laser with your dermatologist.

Can you please mail me your pics so that I get a better understanding of your condition and thus give you further advice.