How can bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps be treated? I have IBS.

Friday, 5/6 I ate a steak for dinner that I assume was not cooked correctly and @ 4 that morning woke up with abdominal cramps and diaharra that turned into bloody diaharra, and then just blood and mucus, but that stopped at 11 p.m 5/7. Sunday and Monday I ate ligthly, but today I have been having diaharra throughout the day and need to know if I need to seek medical attention. I have been drinking plently of water. I'm 32, female, 5'8 weigh 278. I do have IBs, but have not had this happen to me before.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

After going through the description provided by you, I am of the opinion that you might be suffering with an Acute Gastroenteritis due to consumption of uncooked food causing bacterial infections or an acute exacerbation of IBS.

It would be better to seek medical attention as to examine and evaluate you completely. Few investigations like routine Blood and Urine tests and Stools for culture and sensitivity might be done.

As you had a symptom free period in between the two episodes, It point more towards Acute exacerbation of IBS but would be difficult to rule out pathogenic infection without investigations.

The required treatment would be antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicines along with re hydrating solutions accordingly depending upon the cause.

Meanwhile, consume light and small frequent meals as you are already doing, drink plenty of fluids and adequate rest.

Hope this answers your query, I am available for the follow ups.