How can ankle sprain be avoided in a bow legged child?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter is 9 and is a bit bow legged. She has complained of ankle pain over the last couple of years. Last weekend is was red and inflamed. I took her to a doctor for X-rays to ensure there was no fracture or break. There was none and they recommend RICE, which we have done. I spoke with her pediatrician and she said that the structure of her foot, her anatomy in general makes her prone to injury. What can I do to help prevent injuries. I am going to schedule a follow up with an orthopedic doc, and she wears heel cups. Do you have any insight on what this could be
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Orthopaedic consultation is must . Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. You should know one thing that sprain in ankle is to be discussed with orthopaedician and not with paediatrician. Because paediatrician do not advice you exact view of x-ray foot to be done. Anyhow if there is ankle sprain then ligaments of ankle are affected which are not seen on x-ray, because x-ray will tell you only bony changes if present. So you must consult with orthopaedician, who would do physical examination of foot , bow legs and advice you further treatment inghe form of medications or brace if needed. You can send me report of physical examination along with x-ray . Only then your diagnosis can be made. Till then apply hot packs for 30 mins in morning and evening. Elevate the limb during sitting especially. Avoid playing or jumping etc. You can take painkillers by discussing it with your doctor. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask any health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.