How can alcohol addiction and chain smoking be de-addicted?

Want to discuss about my father's addiction to Cigarette and alcohol.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Follow-up: How can alcohol addiction and chain smoking be de-addicted? 1 minute later
He is addicted to Alcohol since last 7-8 years and is not willing to leave.Want a consultation how he can leave this.I am from Lucknow.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Hebbar 3 hours later

Alcohol dependence treatment starts with the motivation to leave alcohol from patient. Your father should be at least wiling to go to Psychiatrist or de-addiction center. Forcibly admitting for one to 2 months some times may work. If the patient goes to the psychiatrist or center, his motivation may be enhanced by further talking to him.

There are medicines to help him to sleep and avoid withdrawal symptoms. Some medicines can be given to reduce his craving for alcohol which are moderately effective in a motivated person. Another medicine, Antabuse, which gives a bad reaction if patient takes alcohol, can be tried.

Once, away from alcohol AA (Alcoholic Anonymous) meetings may help in avoiding relapse. If his problem is associated with depression or anxiety, these problems to be treated.

Similar line of treatment also apply to smoking.

Hope, this answers your query. Accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.