How can abdominal varices be treated ?

sir my dad has abdominal varices due to portal hypertension and he is being glued endoscopically every 3 months. he is non alcoholic and his lft are normal but still the doctors say that his liver is cirrosis to some extent.he is tired of repeated scopies. can you help??
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later

Portal hypertension can be secondary to liver disease (Cirrhosis) or diseases of vessels called non cirrhotic portal hypertension. The differentiation between the two requires information on LFT, PT, INR, Ultrasound liver and complete hemogram.

The number of sessions endoscopies needed to obliterate varices depends on the etiology, type of varices and the underlying cause of portal hypertension.

Hence please provide the details so that we can help you further.Do send the reports and images you have about tests done previously to YYYY@YYYY .

Follow-up: How can abdominal varices be treated ? 22 hours later
I have sent the discharge summary, endoscopy reports and LPT test at YYYY@YYYY . Kindly refer and give us your valuable advice.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi ,

Thanks for following me up and sending the reports.

After having gone through the sent reports, I am convinced that he was diagnosed to have NAFLD( Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease) with normal LFT, which rarely does cause Esophageal Varicies like your father has.

I do suspect (NCPHTN) Non cirrhotic portal hypertension to be the cause of your father's sufferings.To rule out the same you may need to get tests like Complete blood count ( with platelet count ), PT, APTT, INR and a Ultrasound scan of the abdomen showing Spleen size, Splenic and portal vein diameter, Liver surface nodularity and details on right and left lobe of the liver.

The above mentioned tests will give detailed insights based on which the cause for the repeated varicies can be made.Kindly consider and send me the reports after getting the tests or do send if they have done it in recent past to YYYY@YYYY .

Anticipating your response.