How can a squint be corrected apart from surgery?

hello doctor, please help. my daughter is 2 yrs and 3 months. over the past few weeks i have noticed her to be squinting in her right eye very occassionally when she is engrossed or in a daze. she can bring it back into focus. I had a squint when i was growing up. i corrected it with surgery when i was in my 20's. what are the other options for my daughter to correct this squint?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Squint in children less than five years of age is a common finding. As the children grow bigger their eyes start focusing simultaneously and their squint gradually decreases.

The treatment of squint depends on the extent of deviation of the eye ball. This can only be assessed by an ophthalmologist after a detailed examination. Minor squints can be corrected with the help of eye exercises according to the direction and extent of deviation of eye. Surgery is the last option if there is no response seen after eye exercises.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Follow-up: How can a squint be corrected apart from surgery? 29 minutes later
can you explain some of those eye exercises? can positioning the child in certain angles while playing or watching TV help in rectifying the squint?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Positioning of child at certain angles will not help in rectifying squint. The exercises depend on whether the child has squint towards the nose or the head.

The exercises are different and can be explained only after examining the child. Still you can ask her to put beads in a plastic wire one by one and then redo it and also ask her to draw some figures. This will help in focusing and concentrating and reducing the squint.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.