How can a lump on the forehead be treated?

65 year old female. Developed a lump on forehead for no apparent reason and has been vomiting every day. Has a history of tumors on cervical spine.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

It is difficult to say if the vomiting and the lump on the forehead are connected. Would it be possible for you to send a photo of the location of the lump and the lumo itself? You can send this to my attention at YYYY@YYYY

A usual cause of sporadic vomiting would be a viral gastroenteritis. This would usually resolve with supportive care with hydration - water, gatorade etc with bland diet. Symptoms would usually resolve within 3 to 5 days at most.

As for the tumors on the cervical spine can you provide more history? Are they primary spinal tumors or metastatic from elsewhere in the body?

I thank you again for your query. I hope you found my response to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them. I will await the additional information I requested if you are able to provide it.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: How can a lump on the forehead be treated? 5 hours later
Dr. Galamaga;
Unfortunately I am unable to send a picture as the person I am concerned about is out of state. However, the vomiting came on with the lump and has continued for two weeks now. As to the cervical tumors. The first one occurred 10 years ago and was removed. It was benign. The tumor recurred 8 mos. ago and again was removed. They were primary tumors and the second one was again benign. This last tumor was much larger and there have been residual effects since. She has unsteady balance and severe pain in her back. I wonder if there could be a correlation between the cervical tumors and the lump on the forehead.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

I really have to doubt the association between the spinal cord tumors and the lump on her forehead. This does not seem to be anything like a metastatic lesion. This is especially true in light of the fact that her spinal tumors were benign.

As far as an association with her acute illness I really also am having difficulty finding some association with the lump on her forehead. If the lump were on her neck or closer to her ear then it might be possible that this could be a swollen lymph node. Lymph nodes do tend to swell in response to inflammation or infection.

I thank you again for submitting your question and follow up. It is sometimes difficult to make appropriate recommendations in the absence of being able to examine the patient. I hope my response has been adequate and informative for you. I am still available if you have any additional follow-up concerns.

Dr. Galamaga