Ask a Dentist   »  

How can a frozen shoulder and weak left hand,after sebaceous cyst surgery, be treated ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder, i am in physio right now, i still have pain in my shoulder, i am on diability, how long do i have to wait for the pain to disappear. i am on sick leave sice april26, i am afraid of losing my job, my hand feels weak and from time to time the fingers would shake. i had a sebacous cyst removed one weak ago, the muscles were in more pain, what should i do,i am hoping that this can be healed. if i am asked to report to work on modiffied duties, should i go? as i sais that there is still pain in my left shoulder and my my left hand feels weak
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 15 hours later
Hello Seanjj,

You can resume duty if the pain has alleviated. Stiffness will take some more time. Get some analgesics prescribed. In case you join the duty with modified schedule, you should also consider taking help of an Occupational therapist. They have a bigger role in helping you to work with minimal pain and maximum output. So your employer is also happy about it.

For pain and stiffness a physical and rehabilitation expert helps. I think you are consulting one now, continue with him. Speak with him about your problem, he can help you with pain relief exercises during the work.

In General, frozen shoulder is a condition which affects the soft tissues around the shoulder leading to stiffness and pain. It occurs among men, in their 40-50s. Its is most often associated with diabetes.

The treatment options available for you are physio or manipulation. Physio can be tried for a few weeks if you find any improvement. This should be supplemented by prescribed analgesics and muscle relaxants. Your symptoms should settle down with it in a few weeks time.

If otherwise, I advise you to visit an Orthopaedician. A manipulation of your shoulder under anaesthesia/ sedation would break loose all the adhesions in and around your shoulder. This should strictly be followed by physiotherapy, ice fomentation and round the clock analgesics. However, protocols differ from place to place.

If you practise the exercises taught by your phsio at home too, I think you should definitely improve. The key here is continuous mobility. Else it gets stiffer and stiffer.

Weakness of your hands may be due to less usage of your affected arm.

Hope I have solved your queries. For any other queries, I will be available for follow up.

Take care and wish you good health.

Thank you.