How can a food list be located for an MCT oil-based diet? Carnitine deficiency, stroke-like episodes.

How can a food list be located for a mct oil based diet referring to the exchange list being used for a person with Complex 1 and Complex 4 deficiencies there is also a Carnitine deficiency that is treated with Carnitor other summplements from the mito cocktail are being give l-arginine for stroke like episodes creatine riboflavin calcium magnesium vitamin d3 co q10 l-glutamine and whey protein
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 8 hours later

I presume your query is about Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT) containing diet. Hence I answer accordingly. If my presumption is wrong, please let me know so that I can correct during my reply.

Regarding the MCT oil which contains medium chain fatty acids, foods XXXXXXX in MCT are coconut oil and palm kennel oil. However there are commercial preparations available and can be used instead of the foods XXXXXXX in MCT.

Please do let me know if you need more information on MCT diet.

I hope, I have answered your query.

Awaiting your response.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist
Follow-up: How can a food list be located for an MCT oil-based diet? Carnitine deficiency, stroke-like episodes. 7 hours later
I was referring to the food exchange list list a b and c used on the dIet not the sources the mct oil comes from
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for reverting.

I am sorry you need to consult a dietician for food exchange list. Please let me know if you need any information from the Neurology point of view. However, I have mentioned a few suggestions for you.

I’ve given instructions on how we can substitute MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) in our daily recipes.

1. Use coconut oil or palm kernel oil as a substitute oil for recipes that call for vegetable oils like canola, safflower oil or corn oil. You can replace coconut or palm oil for light olive oils that have little flavor. Light olive oil refers to flavor, not calories. Some cooks make cooked salad dressings when using eggs, and MCT oil is a suitable replacement for other oils the recipe specifies.

2. Substitute some of the melted butter for popcorn and homemade cereal snacks with the MCT oil.

3. Exchange these oils in baked goods that call for melted or liquid oils in recipes like cakes or cookies. Recipes that use solid fat like shortening, lard or butter may not turn out as well when substituting oil because the creaming process of the fat and other ingredients incorporates air, something that liquid oils do not do as well as solid fats.

4. Replace the oil you use for XXXXXXX frying or making popcorn with palm kernel oil. Its smoke point is among the highest of all food-safe cooking oils.

There are two forms of MCT Oil that are available:

a) Clear MCT Oil – can be used as any other oil would be used.
b) Liquigen – this is a white emulsion type liquid which can be used in cooking or is a more pleasant way to be drunk on its own and can easily be mixed with milk/cream or flavored as a milkshake type drink.

Follow some simple steps, then the risk of any tummy upsets can be drastically reduced if not eradicated altogether and they are:

1. MCT diet oil MUST be consumed with every meal or snack.
2. DO NOT give MCT Oil/Liquigen as a drink on its own – especially NOT before bed. If a bedtime boost is needed then give it with something like milk or use it in a muffin/baked egg custard as a bedtime snack.
3. Always give MCT in balance with CHO (Carbohydrate), Protein and other LCT (Long Chain Triglyceride)fats.
4. Start off on a very small amount and build up to the relevant requirement of MCT slowly.
5. If using Liquigen as a drink with a meal it is better for the patient to eat some of the food first before drinking the liquigen or even drink it at the end of the meal. If you have a patient that is prone to throwing up in any event, do not give liquigen/MCoil on its own on an empty stomach.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist