How can I use Metron Accusonic Lipus Low intensity pulsed ultrasound machine?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have recently bought a WWW.WWWW.WW and have just a very slight idea on how to operate this machine. could you advise me what would be the best settings for muscle tear, ligament, sprain and other sports related injury? Also do give me other alternative as well as the reason behind it.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can use heating pads also.

Detailed Answer:
In case of muscle tear or ligament sprain or in sports related injury, this low intensity pulsed ultrasound can help in increasing the blood flow to the area of injury thus increasing the rate of healing.
The ultrasound waves are emitted in a fixed frequency. Only the time of treatment can be altered. You can start with 10 minutes in case of minor injuries twice a day and then gradually increase the time to 20 minutes twice a day in a week's time. This is a simple to operate machine. You have to fix the probe over the area of maximum pain or tenderness for the best results. Be sure to rule out the presence of any hematoma in the area of injury. This might increase the size of the hematoma and increase the discoloration of the skin. Avoid using it within first 48 hours of injury to rule out any active bleeding in the area.
The other alternative that we can use is a simple heating pad as this will cause a local vasodilatation thus increasing the blood supply and the rate of healing.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.