How can I treate white discoloration and itching around my anus and vaginal area?

i have white discoloration and itching around my anus and vaginal area. What could it be i am very worried
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 47 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. There are two possibilities that are important to be ruled out in your case.

1)     The first possibility is of fungal or yeast infection which is causing itching and white discoloration around the area. This possibility can be ruled out by getting a KOH examination of the skin scrapings of the area done.

2)     The second possibility is of lichen sclerosus. It effects mostly women and causes itching and white discoloration of the genitalia especially vulva and the anus. The white discolored skin may cause fragile skin which may become damaged, inflamed, raw, and prone to painful splitting and cracking. To confirm the diagnosis a small sample (biopsy) of affected skin may be taken under local anaesthetic.

I suggest you to get it examined from a dermatologist and get these investigations done to confirm the diagnosis.

Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:
1)      Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2)     Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3)     Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4)     Change underwear daily, wash underwear in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.