How can I treat sinus problems?

ENT Specialist
I sense I may be having wisdom teeth issues but have no pain... however I've been coughing slightly.. sort of a sore throat... and have had problems with my sinuses the last 2 days... I did have very slight pain back in that area a few days ago and now these symptoms but the pain is gone... When I put my tongue back there and feel around I don't feel anything unusual like a wisdom tooth might be coming in... thoughts?? I am a 33 year old male.... 5'9 185 lbs...I occasionally have these sinus problems but they usually go away overnight but not this time... I had 2 wisdom teeth removed when I was like 19 or 20 and at the time was told I may never have to have the other 2 removed.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms such as slight cough, pain in the throat, etc. are the features of sinusitis. Whenever there is sinus infection there will be discharge in the posterior nasal space (behind the nose) trickling down into the throat. When this discharge trickles down into the throat, it irritates the throat inducing cough. And, frequent cough with the infected sinus discharge trickling down into the throat leads to inflammation and pain over the pharyngeal wall (throat wall).

The wisdom tooth has nothing to do with the sinus infection you are suffering with. When it happens, it will be usually secondary to the removal of the tooth from the upper jaw in the recent past. This problem is seldom encountered when the upper tooth is in connection with the floor of the maxillary sinus.

It would be wise enough to consult an ENT surgeon for a thorough examination. This is because, most of the times, when sinusitis is present there will be referred pain to the upper jaw mimicking dental pain.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon