How can I rid my eyes of haloed vision and star bursts after LASIK surgery?

can a rid my eyes of haloed vision and star bursts after laisk laser eye surgery as it gets me down and feelind depressed
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 13 hours later

Glare and haloes are common after LASIK surgery. After LASIK there are three main reasons for glare and problems with night vision. The first can be experienced almost immediately after the LASIK procedure is completed. This is due to swelling in the cornea. Most of the time the swelling is managed by the use of topical eye drops. Once the swelling has been reduced and the eye heals from the procedure, the hope is the problems with glare and night vision difficulties will decrease.

If the glare and difficulty seeing at night continues after the first month, chances are it is being caused by a residual refractive error. This means that the vision was not completely corrected by the LASIK procedure. The correction for this is typically a pair of prescription eyeglasses to be worn at night. The benefit of glasses is not only is the remaining refractive error corrected, but many people chose to add an anti-reflective coating to the lenses which further reduces any glare seen by the patient. In some cases additional LASIK procedures may be needed to correct the vision further.

The third most common cause of glare after LASIK is pupil size. The human eye controls the amount of light that enters the eye by opening and closing the pupil. In a dim or dark room the pupil will expand to allow the largest amount of light possible into the eye and the opposite is also true; in bright light the pupil contracts to reduce the amount of light entering the eye. In some LASIK cases, the pupil size expands larger than the area corrected on the cornea during the procedure. This situation can also be corrected with lenses or by topical eye drops that force the pupil to constrict to a smaller size. If the pupil size remains smaller than the area of LASIK procedure the amount of glare should be significantly reduced. Again, as with cases of residual refractive error, if problematic enough, further LASIK procedures can be done.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer any furthur queries if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah