How can I quit taking tobacco ?

ENT Specialist
I want to quit Ghutka, which i am addicdated from last 10yrs. When Ghutka pkt with me i feel very happy & that time i used to think this time i will not purchase more i will quit, but when it get finished i used to feel very disturb & i used go for again purchasing. Pls help me how to quit. I need to IVF for that i need to quit, pls suggest.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Dear Monalim001,

Thank you for your query.

1. Gutkha contains tobacco and many toxic substances. Some of these are irritants and carcinogenic (cause cancer).

2. A common result of regular Gutkha use is Oral Sub Mucous Fibrosis (OSMF) where there is irreversible fibrosis just under the delicate oral and throat mucosa (lining). Intolerance to spicy food and dryness of mouth are common complaints. In severe cases the ability to open the mouth decreases. In some cases this has happened in six months! Hence ten years is a very long duration of use.

3. OSMF is also precancerous. I regularly treat patients of oral cancer who never realized that the Gutkha they were having regularly was XXXXXXX

4. Nicotine (tobacco) is the most powerful addictive substance known and the fastest way to quit is to stop at once with will power alone. Think about the need to have a successful IVF and the unacceptable damage to your baby.

5. Kindly visit this site and see the short video film on tobacco WWW.WWWW.WW
6. Nicotine chewing gum (Nicotex) is an alternative and is available in 2gm & 4 gm gums.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.