How can I quit smoking?

I want to quit my "Smoking Habit". I am having this for last 20 years long period.
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. U. Gauthamadas 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have a plan and work to it

Detailed Answer:
While some smokers successfully quit by going cold XXXXXXX most people do better with a plan to keep themselves on track. A good plan addresses both the short–term challenge of quitting smoking and the long–term challenge of preventing relapse. It should also be tailored to your specific needs and smoking habits.

Choose a date within the next 2 weeks, so you have enough time to prepare without losing your motivation to quit. If you mainly smoke at work, quit on the weekend, so you have a few days to adjust to the change. Prepare ahead for common challenges, such as nicotine withdrawal and cigarette cravings. Once you stop smoking, you will experience a number of physical symptoms as your body withdraws from nicotine. Nicotine withdrawal begins quickly, usually starting within thirty minutes to an hour of the last cigarette and peaking about 2 to 3 days later. Withdrawal symptoms can last for a few days to several weeks and differ from person to person.

Throw away all of your cigarettes, lighters, ashtrays, and matches. Wash your clothes and freshen up anything that smells like smoke.

Whenever you feel the urge to smoke suck on a nicotine lozenge, or chew nicotine gum. Maintain a craving journal.Find alternate ways to handle stressful situations without smoking, note them down, and use them. Reinforce your victories. Whenever you triumph over a craving, give yourself a reward to keep yourself motivated.