Ask a Dentist   »  

How can I prevent teeth from decaying? Have cavity in tooth

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I have cavity in my tooth what kind of food I should take to make it healthy or prevent it from decaying.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 40 minutes later
Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Decay happens when food is stuck somewhere either on the tooth or in between teeth. It lowers the pH in the area, with the help of bacteria making it acidic resulting in decay.
Therefore to prevent or reduce the decay one must rinse with water after consumption of food. Also use of a good mouthwash may help. Avoiding high carbohydrate foods which break into sucrose such as (Chocolates) and aerated drinks also help in reducing decay.

As you already have a cavity, you need to visit your dentist to get it filled as food will get stuck there resulting in increased infection and enlargment of the cavity. Your dentist may take an xray before starting the treatment.

Studies support that fluoride pastes and fluoride treatment act as remineralizing agents but these are used as preventive measures and can not treat the cavity on its own. XXXXXXX leafy vegetables as well as fresh fruits XXXXXXX in vitamins and minerals enhance body immunity against infection and even tooth decay. But mechanical cleansing is mandatory to keep infection at bay.

I would be happy to help you if you have any more questions.