How can I prevent getting a seroma after removal of sentinel lymph nodes from groin after excision of melanoma?

Oncologist
Question
I had 2 sentinel lymph nodes removed from the groin after excision of a melanoma. Now can I best prevent getting a seroma.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

Seroma is a fluid collection forming after surgery to remove lymph nodes, as the normal pathway for lymph fluid drainage is damaged. Seroma formation is a common problem after complete groin dissection. However, it is rare after sentinel node biopsy. You have rightly got a sentinel node biopsy done and your chances of having seroma are less than 5%. Had a complete groin dissection been done, this would have been in the range of 30-40%.

There is nothing specific to prevent a seroma. You should continue with the routine exercises and all as shown by your therapist.

Even if a seroma forms, then it can be asirated with a needle easily. Only thing is that it often recurs, necessitating multiple aspirations.

More importantly you should be under regular monitoring by your treating surgeon to detect any complications or recurrences early.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back to me if you have further concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: How can I prevent getting a seroma after removal of sentinel lymph nodes from groin after excision of melanoma? 22 minutes later
My surgery was yesterday. Do I need to limit my activity at all.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow-up.

It is always better to mobilise as soon as possible after surgery.

It minimises all complications.

Try to get back to your normal routine early.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Regards.