How can I prevent frequent stomach pain?

For four years, 10 times a year average I get a stomach episode that comes out of nowhere. It begins usually with montazumas revenge, then I vomit nonstop even when taking the XXXXXXX dose of zofran and promethizine. I also get horrible pain close to labor pains in my stomach. I have to go to the hospital to stop it, or I will just get worse and worse. They have found my white cells are very high with a low grade fever and inflammation in my blood during episodes.. A cat scan showed that my illi on my colon was inflammed. No one will give me a diagnosis or advice on how to prevent these attacks, I appreciate your help, Thanks,
Suzanne Brizzi
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

What you are suffering most probably seems to be Colitis.

Colitis refers to the acute or chronic inflammation of the membrane lining of the colon (large intestine or bowel) and can have many different causes.

Viruses and bacteria can cause colon infections. Most are food-borne illnesses or "food poisoning." Common bacterial causes include Shigella, E Coli, Salmonella and Campylobacter. These infections may cause bloody diarrhea, vomiting, fever and can result in significant dehydration.

You can take prebiotics and probiotics initially.
You can continue the medication, if it does not subside you will have to start on immunosuppresants on the consultation of your doctor.

Clear fluid diet for 24 hours, rest, and acetaminophen (Tylenol) are needed for pain.
To prevent further episodes you will have to maintain good food hygiene.
Wash hands regularly before meals, avoid street food, eat organic and fresh food.

Do not eat tinned, salted, artificial coloured food, ready to eat meals.
Eat more vegetables than meat.

Hope my answer is adequate. In case of any doubts, I am available for follow ups.