How can I make sure that colon diverticuliis has been treated after taking antibiotics?

Question
I've been diagnosed with colon diverticuliis. Lower tenderness across my lower abdomen. My concern is that I might just have a torn muscle that could have attached itself to my colon or a fistula from my colon that has attached to my bladder. About 2-3 weeks since this started. Went to hosp. for antibiotics for two days. Should I still think that the Diverticulitis is still present?
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can you please upload reports? Detailed Answer: Hi, I have thoroughly read your query & deeply understand your concern. Can you upload the scan and other reports? - It will help me answers better. Diverticulitis which is an inflammedn colonic outpouching does not happen due to pulled muscle or fistula. In fact untreated diverticulitis on the long run might form internal fistulas. Antibiotics definitely is the first choice treatment to treat the infection though it does not reverse these outpouching. So you are treated well. Please upload reports which will help me comment further. Thanks

Follow-up: How can I make sure that colon diverticuliis has been treated after taking antibiotics? 2 hours later
i would not have the courage to ask for the scan information or the ability to send it to you. thank you

Answered by Dr. Praveen 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi.Diverticulitis is managed medically/surgery Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing back. Dear sir, its okay if the scan info is not available. I suggest you to include a high-fiber, low-fat diet. Diverticulitis can not be reversed. It is a defect in the intestine. Uncomplicated diverticulitis can be managed medically. Surgery (elective resection) of the involved bowel segment is done after 2 episodes of uncomplicated diverticulitis to prevent further attacks has been advocated for years. Hope this answers your query. Do not panic. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: How can I make sure that colon diverticuliis has been treated after taking antibiotics? 5 hours later
Thank you for your positive words of help. I hope I don't need surgery in the future!

Answered by Dr. Praveen 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: You are most welcome. Please remember high fibre diet will keep your bowel healthy.Drink lot of fluids/water. All the best.