How can I increase low vitamin D levels?

My Serum Calcium is 8.8 mg/dl; my T3 is 2.14 nmol/L; T4 is 125.4 nmol/L; TSH 3.25 mIU/L; my vitamin D 25/OH is 17.20 ng/ml. Vitamin D3 test result will be only availale after 5 working days. I was 119 KG and now 93 KG working so har with my nutritionist to loose 25 to 30 more KG. VERY DETERMINED...
My questions are: what is this condition? since my D is insifficient how can I increase it? What are the foods very XXXXXXX in D or do you advise me the weekly shot of D, if I opt to is it advisable? what other tests you wish for me to have?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. P.V Pradeep 5 hours later

After going through the reports, you have low Vitamin D levels which needs correction and also the Vitamin D stores are low.

For this you need to start on calcium supplements like Calcirol XXXXXXX 1 packet per week for 5 consecutive weeks. Please recheck Vitamin D levels after 3 months.

Adequate sunlight exposure is critical for Vitamin D synthesis. You can expose the upper limbs and neck region in sunlight atleast twice weekly for about 20 minutes, it may be adequate (Preferably between 10-11 AM in Indian conditions, 20% body surface area exposed).

Natural sources like cod liver oil, egg yolk are XXXXXXX in Vit D, Vit D fortified milk, bread, juices, yogurt are also available.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: How can I increase low vitamin D levels? 4 hours later
Are there any other tests I should have? I am having my FSH and E2 in 2 days being my 3rd day of my period. As a medical summary to help you advise me better and further:
I am Diabetic diagnosed since March 2011 7.2 for Glycolated Haemoglobin test result last 20 days ago (Glucophage 2X a day since March 2011). HTN at average 130/90. LVH at 5.3 cm tested last month (Norvasc 5mg and Approvel 150mg - 2 years). Cholesterol at 200 HDL 39 and LDL 135. Supplements : OMEGA 3 (Nordic) Blood Sugar, Calcium (Osteocare), Iron, Chewable Vitamin C (GNC - Sugar Free); Using Stevia for my sugar maybe 2x a week. No Beef, No Pork, No Fast Food, No Rice, No White Bread. Salmon Daily, Oatmeal, Muesli, XXXXXXX Salad, Spinnach, Cherries, Walnuts......
Answered by Dr. P.V Pradeep 7 hours later
Hello again,

There is no need to worry.

Continue the same treatment.

The HbA1C should ideally be under 7. Since you have been recently diagnosed to have DM it is acceptable and is expected to come in range in the coming months.

You should ideally undergo Renal function tests ( including Serum creatinine), an eye check up and also cardiologist check up.

Hope my suggestions will help you.

Warm regards