How can I improve my daughter's immunity?

Hello Doctor, My daughter is 4 years old (14 KGS WEIGHT) and is prone to throat infections and respiratory track infections often mostly once or twice in two months. We had done blood test too and everything seems to be normal. She is a fussy eater. What can i do to improve her immunity. Kindly suggest. ? Right now she has again got a throat infection, cough with pain and cold.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Repeated throat and respiratory tract infections is common amongst children. They usually improve and subside by 12 years of age. It needs extreme vigilance and timely treatment on the appearance of first symptoms. In these cases prevention is always better than cure.

There are some general measures that can help you in reducing the problem-
1. Avoid exposure to dust, excessive humidity, sudden change in temperatures and any known allergen.
2. Start antiallergics in combination with antiinflammatory agent like montelukast at the onset of first signs and symptoms. You can get these prescribed from her pediatrician.
3. Use XXXXXXX warm water for drinking.
4. Whenever symptoms appear, give her steam inhalation twice daily.
5. Avoid all irritants like perfumes, soot, etc.
6. Use nasal decongestant or steroid drops or sprays for decongestion which encourages drainage.
7.Use a humidifier in her room.

Viruses causing cold are highly contagious. They get predisposed to viral infections easily.
Poor diet and low iron contents causing anemia may cause lack of essential nutrients which may make the body less fit to fight germs. Eating a healthy, balanced diet and hydrating the body with plenty of water can help her immune system be stronger.

Also get her hemoglobin level checked to check for any anemia.

Give her more of vitamin C which is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. You can give her a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.

Let her be involved in more physical activities, outdoor sports than indoor games. This builds immunity.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.