How can I improve my body weight?

I have 24 years old and having very less weight and lean. I want to improve my body without any side effects.
Age:24 yrs
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 27 minutes later
Hello Jinshu,

There are various causes of being underweight as malnutrition, intestinal worms, thyroid disorder, bowel disease, genetic history etc.

So the primary rule is to increase the calorie intake and do some form of exercise along with it.

Some measures:

1)Start your day with a healthy breakfast comprising a glass of milk and a banana or a banana milkshake.

2)Have frequent small meals every three hours in a day and divide them into six small meals comprising of proteins in one meal as pulses,cereals,beans,legumes, etc.

3)Have energy dense foods as dry fruits, nuts, seeds when you snack.

4)If you take non veg have fish,chicken with dal rice thrice in a week.

5)Avoid junk food intake as it has empty calories.

6)Make an exercise plan and do some form of muscle building exercises. It will be best if you do under guidance of a trainer so that he can analyze and observe for changes. Exercises like squats, chin-ups and bench press help in weight gain.

7)Avoid smoking, alcohol if you are using them regularly.

8)Drink lots of water.

Get a Thyroid profile done so that possibility of that is also ruled out.

You can consult a Nutritionist who can guide you according to your cuisines and then keep tracking for changes.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: How can I improve my body weight? 45 minutes later
Thanks doctor.. but I am following this for last 6 month and no improvement. I have used Amway nutrilite 2 months back for one month and result is zero. In hunger also, i am not able to eat completely as my stomach will get full after taking two or three handful.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

If you have been doing all the things, then definitely you require a detailed evaluation for the cause.

I would suggest you get a Thyroid and Blood sugar profile done. Also take a deworming tablet like Albendazole fortnightly after consulting your Physician.

Continue with the lifestyle modification and avoid using any kind of supplements.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will available for the followup queries if any.

Wishing you Good health!