Ask a Urologist   »  

How can I get rid of raised shiny bumps on my penis?

Question
+I am a 34 yy.o. 5f t 9 in 175 lb male. I have been married 5 years and had only intercourse with my wife. I contracted HPV 11 years ago and was diagnosed aldara in '02. It worked well but the condition came back 3 years later. I used it again and things cleared up. I was engaged to be married at this time. I shaved my genital area. When I had sex with my new spouse my pnis shaft became inflammed and itchy. Patches of sore, inflamed skin appeared with flaky scabs over the shaft.The patches grew into raised shiny bumps. I thought it was hpv. I went to a very bad dermatologist who used a chemical and cryo on them. I saw no improvement after 2 months of this. I saw a urologist who recommended laser surgery. I had this procedure in '09. After healing the raised shiny bumps reappeared. They are darker than my normal skin and some have hairs growing up through them.After the surgery I have little confidence in conventional medicine but the turmeric paste Im using has no effiect.Currently I have raised shiny bumps on my shaft and small dark bumps at the base of my shaft. I am very hairy all over and always had very hairy penis area. Hair has always grown from my penis shaft on both sides. I also have 2 flesh colored cauilflower bumps on my shaft on the underside and one on the base. They are much lighter than the others. I believe them to be HPV. They seem to be effected somewhat by the turmeric paste. Theyhave no hair growing from them. I am more worried about the raised shiny bumps on the shaft with the hairs growing from them.They have been persistent for at least 5 years.Please advise.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

From the symptoms two possibilities are there for these bumps with hair in them. The first possibility is of folliculitis skin and the second possibility is of cysts.

Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph). Cyst is a small bump that occur just beneath the skin surface and is common on the skin where there are abundant hair. It can be filled with a cheese-like or oily material as well.

If the bumps are showing any indentations and are multiplying then there is a possibility of mollusucm contagiosum. For the cauliflower like bumps, there is a possibility of genital warts.

The treatment of choice for folliculitis and cysts is topical and oral antibiotics and warm compresses. If become painful then it means they are infected, then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

You should get them examined from a dermatologist and get an examination and a biopsy skin done.

Please send me a photo of the lesion attached with this query or at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at your photo and it will help me in understanding your condition better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How can I get rid of raised shiny bumps on my penis? 32 hours later
I have sent a photo by phone to Dr. Jas XXXXXXX Also before/during my surgery in '09. A bipsy was done. It said I had verrucous keratosis.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Unfortunately I have still not received the photographs. But if the biopsy confirms it as verrucous keratosis then it is a benign, noncancerous benign skin growth that originates in keratinocytes and can resemble warts or even a melanoma.

Usually no treatment is required but if there is any infection, it is itchy or is irritated by clothing or jewelry, it can be removed by cryosurgery or electrocautery. Larger lesions can be treated with electrodessication and curettage, shave excision or cryotherapy.

Follow-up: How can I get rid of raised shiny bumps on my penis? 4 hours later
Thank you! Since I have experienced cryosurgery and electrocautery with no success. I can try to see if this is folliculits. Thank you for the invaluable information!

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Thanks for your kind words.

Do write to us for your medical queries and health concerns.

Take care and regards.