How can I get rid of pigmentation on face and hands? What foods will help to clear the same?

Hi Doctor,

I have lot of Pigmentation on my face and hands ,how to get rid of the pigmentation?
what kind of foods will help in clearing the same and to maintain good pigment free skin?

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
From the symptoms and the specific sites where you are having these symptoms, melasma is an important possibility. It is due to overproduction of melanin by the pigment cells, melanocytes and although it is more commonly found in females, males may also get effected and the usually affected areas are forehead, cheeks and nose. Sun exposure even if it is for a short time in your case can be responsible for these symptoms.

To treat these dark patches, apply a good sunscreen with minimum spf 30 atleast half an hour before going out in the sun. Use a mild cleanser and if the skin is dry, a light moisturizer. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables especially cabbage, spinach, and other leafy XXXXXXX vegetables and take a daily vitamin supplement. You should also apply almond oil or skin creams containing vit C or K, alpha hydroxyl acids and kojic acid on the dark patches.

However if the symptoms are severe then topical bleaching agents, chemical peels and laser therapy may be needed. These are available only under prescription and hence a dermatologist should be consulted for these treatment options.

Home remedies for the lightening of these pigmented marks-
1. Apply sunscreen lotion regularly.
2.Raw potato juice, mashed avocado, cocoa butter, lime juice and honey can be applied daily to the area.
3.Take about 20 volume of hydrogen peroxide to which add about two tablespoonful of some milk powder and then mix it with a few drops of glycerine. Apply this mix on the pigmented areas and let it remain for 20 minutes. Then rinse the skin with water and subsequently apply moisturizer.
4. Take same amount of vinegar and use for cleansing the skin. Rinse the skin and let it dry naturally by air. The acetic acid in the vinegar will help in getting rid of the dark color and also allows the skin to remain radiant as well as smooth. XXXXXXX cider vinegar as well as natural vinegars are beneficial for treating this health condition.
5. Mix a Vitamin E capsule with some drops of castor oil and spread the content over the affected parts.
6.Onion juice is also very good. Mix equal amount of vinegar and apply the content on the affected area.
All of these are natural remedies. These do not guarantee any help but are safe and effective upto some extent.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.