How can I get rid of dry cough?

I am 57 year old. I am in uk now days on visitor visa. Having severe dry cough from last 15 days...its not getting cured even after trying all possible OTC options available in london. cough is so much that I am not able to sleep in the night. Usually when I would be getting this problem in india my doctor used to prescribe some antibiotic. However it is not possible here to get the antibiotics without prescription. please suggest what to do so that i can get rid of this severe problem.
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

I would like to know some more details on your condition so that I shall understand better and opine specifically.

Is the cough productive with sputum?
Do you have fever?
Do you have irritation in the throat, especially after coughing?
What OTC medications have you tried?

Waiting for your response.
Follow-up: How can I get rid of dry cough? 31 hours later
no sputum

no fever

yes lot of irritation in throat after coughing. and feel exhausted as well

tried benlylin syrup and similar cold cough tablets
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for the information.

Based on the history provided the cough you have is dry cough probably due to throat during and after coughing.

Better remedies to overcome such cough is by measures which will soothen the upper respiratory tract which reduces the irritation and thereby reducing the cough.

Below are some measures which help to get rid of the dry cough :

1)Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the hot water. Take steam inhalation with the same. Inhalations taken twice daily will reduce the irritation in the upper respiratory tract to quite an extent.

2)Green Tea with Honey taken early in the morning is one of the best additional measure to the above.

3)Before retiring for the night, drink a cup of hot milk with honey and a pinch of turmeric in it, which will not only deliver relief from dry cough, but also encourage a sound night of rest.

4)Do gargle lukewarm water with a pinch of salt in it .This removes any infective pathogens causing inflammation and subsequent irritation in the throat.

The above remedies are recommended as they are safe and do help to get rid of the dry cough also preventing recurrences.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: How can I get rid of dry cough? 22 hours later
Thanks a lot
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later
You are welcome.

Thanks for using this service.