How can I get my brain stop talking to myself?

Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 6 days later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.

Brain talking to yourself reflects you have thoughts excess than required and which may not be relevant to the topic.

It may also reflect you are having stress and there is lack of concentration.

For controlling the thoughts, first you need to identify them like is there related to particular stress or just a routine day events that are coming in that way.

After identifying them, you should decide whether it is related to the topic or not.

Now, whenever you are doing work and you have excessive thoughts, start making classification of useful to the topic and not useful to the topic thoughts. By identification itself, your non-useful thoughts will be reduced.

By repeating this things for some time, your brain will itself start classifying the thoughts and than, your excessive thoughts may also be reduced.

My patients also do postpone of thoughts which are unwanted for a while , again and again whenever the excessive thoughts come in to the mind, so that brain learn to identify non-useful thoughts.

Same thing you can apply to the talking to yourself also.

This kind of stress management or thought management really work well in my patients. You may try it.

You can also go for yoga, meditation and relaxation exercise like breathing exercise to have better control over thoughts.

If you are in stress, You may consult psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.