How can I deal with sleeplessness for less than 6 hours every night?

I can not sleep for more than 6 Hours in the night. Even during that time I wake up multiple times. I have considerably reduced my stress levels and do not eat before sleeping and regularly exercise. Have this problem for 4 years now. This problem is specially there if there is any meeting or appointment in the morning then i can not even sleep for 6 hours. There is some traffic noise outside my home, but not much. All of my family/friends do not find the noise a problem.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 43 minutes later

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like to know few more things here, so that I can suggest you better:
1.) Were you alright before 4 years?
2.) Do you have restlessness and Fatigue?
3.) Do you have sweating and shortness of breath?
4.) Do you have trouble concentrating?

Your History suggests you have either:
1.) Insomnia
2.) Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Your Problem may not be related to traffic noise outside your Home but could be one of the aggravating factors. Don't worry, making lifestyle changes, learning coping skills and using relaxation techniques will help you.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Psychiatrist. He/She shall take your complete History, do a Physical Examination and if necessary order you to get a Urine and Blood Work up along with Test which are done to monitor and record a variety of your body activities while you sleep, including brain waves, breathing, heartbeat, eye movements and body movements.

Once the cause for your Sleeplessness is confirmed he/she will Prescribe you medications accordingly.

Bring in some lifestyle changes which will definitely help you in the long run and will help you lead a Normal and healthy life with sound sleep in the night.

1.) Exercise for an hour daily as it is a Powerful stress reducer.
2.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
3.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism.
4.) Sleep early for a minimum of 8 hours daily. Wake up and sleep on the same time everyday.
5.) Practice relaxation techniques like Yoga and Meditation.
6.) Exercise and finish your dinner 2 hours before you sleep.
7.) Use your room only for sleeping, if you have television, remove it.
8.) Maintain a healthy weight.
9.) Avoid caffeine
10.) Avoid afternoon naps.
11.) Avoid heavy meals, eat small meals six times a day.
12.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.
Follow-up: How can I deal with sleeplessness for less than 6 hours every night? 2 hours later
With respect to your queries -
1) Were you alright before 4 years?:- Before 2005 I never had any sleep related problem. This was also the time i have started working full time from.
2.) Do you have restlessness and Fatigue?:- No
3.) Do you have sweating and shortness of breath? Rarely
4.) Do you have trouble concentrating? No
Normally, i can somehow manage to sleep enough. However, if i there is anything scheduled before 11AM somehow i just cant sleep at all. Even if the meeting is not very important. Many times i have had to cancel meetings at 10 AM and go back to sleep. After cancelling such meetings i can sleep very easily.

Regarding the lifestyle changes suggested i am sticking to most of them except regular timings. Due to nature of my job i need to work with US based clients sometimes in which case i go to sleep around 2AM. However this happens only once or twice a month. Even otherwise i typically do not sleep before 1AM and target waking up at 9AM.
Can you suggest some good Psychiatrist to consult with in Bangalore.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 11 hours later
Thank You for Writing back.

Your Follow Up Answer to my Queries most probably suggests typical Anxiety Disorder. Kindly don't worry as it is not Uncommon among the People who have your work schedule.
Your are Unnecessarily exerting yourself thinking about what's going to happen if you have a Meeting scheduled next day.

1.) Just Stick to the Lifestyle changes which i have suggested
2.) Stick to your treatment plan if your Psychiatrist prescribes you medicines if necessary and go for regular follow up.
3.) Just be your own self
4.) Whenever you feel anxious, take a brisk walk or indulge yourself into a hobby to refocus your mind away from your worries
5.) Don't dwell on past your past or worry about the Future, Change what you can and let the rest take its own course.
6.) Don't let your worries isolate you from your loved ones or your enjoyable activities. Get yourself out and Interact with your family and friends, Social interaction and caring relationships can lessen your anxiety
7.) If there is any, join a support group with people who have the same issues as you have and share with them your experiences, this will help you feel good.

You can consult Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Consultant Psychiatry, at Manipal Hospital, Old Airport Road, Bangalore and get yourself examined.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.