Ask a Urologist   »  

How can I cure my problem of constant bladder leakage?

Question
Hello. I am a 19 year old female and I'm having issues with constant bladder leakage. It happens all the time, no matter what I am doing. It's not just a little either. I have to wear a pad everyday or else you would most likely be able to see it through my pants before the end of the day. I have had this problem for many years now and it has caused me much stress and embarrassment. I know this is not normal and I was wondering what there was that I could do about it. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query, from your symptoms it is very clear that you are having urinary incontinence i.e. involuntary emptying or urinary bladder. It is of many types and in women, usually stress (leakage of small amounts of urine during physical movement) and urge incontinence (leakage of large amounts of urine at unexpected times even during sleep) may be found. Most bladder control problems happen when muscles are too weak or too active.

Now you need to get certain investigations done to evaluated the type of urinary incontinence that you have. These include bladder stress test, urine examination and culture, ultrasound, cystoscopy and urodynamic studies. A urologist should be consulted to get these investigations done.

Following lifestyle measure will help you in overcoming urinary incontinence. These include:
1)     Eliminate foods that may irritate the bladder like coffee, cold drinks, spicy food and highly acidic foods such as citrus fruits and juices.
2)     Do kegel exercises. This is done by squeezing the vaginal and pelvic muscles and then gently releasing them. Try not to tighten your stomach, legs, or buttocks.
3)     Do not drink any fluids atleast one hour before going to bed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries