How can I break away from an abusive relationship?

Jun 2014

I was in an abusive relationship for 13 years. He left me. For 3 years he has been calling me, He buys me birthday, Christmas and valentine presents. I feel he is still using me in someway. I want to break away from this man, but I can not seem to do that. my health has suffered from this relationship and I am in a lot of emotional turmoil. Why would someone want to keep in contact, if he does not want to see me anymore.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: There are many reasons Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for choosing healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would try to solve your problem. I just want to say few things. 13 years are not a short duration for a relationship and there are many possible reasons behind his act; 1. After 13 years, sometime partner become possessive about each other. May be due to possessiveness, your partner is trying to get you back in his life. 2. May be he is not getting someone like you and due to this reason, he wants you to keep in contact with him. 3. May be he is trying to check, whether you are in another relationship or not. 4. May be he does not want you to forget about past incident. These possibilities are there in your case. I think, you should consult a psychologist for getting supportive therapy. That would help you to decrease the mental pain due to your past. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist