How can Depression be dealt post Coronary artery bypass graft surgery ?

My father who is 71 went through a CABG on XXXXXXX 23rd 2011 and post surgery recovery was uneventful except for insomnia. Due to the fact he was living alone with my mother, me and my brother decided to shift to him to the city nearby where we work, by an overnight train journey. that journey was undertaken on the 11th of July 2011 after advice from the surgeon that he is ok to travel. but post the train journey, my dad is very sleepy, lost control of the bladders and resists walking, just does not want to get up from the bed etc. is this due to depression? if it is how to fight this and getting back to normal, which he was before we got into train
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 43 minutes later

You have mentioned that your father had become very sleepy, lost control of bladders and resists walking. This occurred post his journey on 11th July. And he underwent CABG on 23rd XXXXXXX 2010.

His symptoms can be explained by depression. However, before that, you must rule out other diseases.

Post CABG, some patients might develop Central Nervous System Dysfunction. This can be case with him. Loss of control of bladder is not a good sign.

He must get evaluated by a neurologist to find out the exact cause of his illness.

If neurologically he is normal, only then, psychological causes such as depression will be considered.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: How can Depression be dealt post Coronary artery bypass graft surgery ? 6 hours later
post this query it was found that the sodium and chloride levels were too low and he has been admitted to the ICU. Does Low sodium symptoms match with the symptoms i mentioned earlier? or do we still purse the neuroligical evaluation?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks again for following up.

Low sodium does cause 'Central Nervous System Dysfunction'. The symptoms can range from mild drowsiness to seizures to coma.

You are on right track.

Once his sodium improves, his condition should become better.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you and your father good health

Take Care