How are symptoms of premature ejaculation treated ?

Question
Doc, i think i have a problem of pre mature ejaculation since many years , i ejaculate in less then 1 min of intercourse. I have tried evrything to avoid it, like thinking abt something else, holding my breath, kegel exercise, but nothing seems to be helping.
Please suggest some medication to correct this problem. And tell me the name of medication and duration i need to take it for ?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Premature Ejaculation

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 minutes later

Premature ejaculation (PE) is not uncommon and depends on multiple factors, the most common being psychological factors. The psychological factors may include stress and anxiety in daily life and depression due to personal, professional , financial and other social issues.

Medical causes of premature ejaculation include abnormal hormone level, reflex activity of ejaculatory system, thyroid problems, diabetes, hypertension and neurological causes.

Try distracting yourself when you feel you are about to ejaculate. Take a XXXXXXX breath and stay relaxed during intercourse. Also do not worry about performance and talk to your partner openly about any apprehensions if you have.

Other treatment methods which can be followed are stop-start or squeeze-pause technique. In stop start technique, near ejaculation withdraw from your partner and relax and think about something else. In squeeze- pause technique, squeeze the end or the tip of the penis for 10 to 20 seconds when you are close to ejaculation and then resume stimulation after withholding for half a minute.

If the symptoms persist then desensitizing creams and SSRI drugs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) may need to be prescribed for which you have to consult a urologist. A urologist will be the best person to guide you through this and the duration of treatment depends on the severity of symptoms. You may need to undergo certain medical tests like for diabetes, thyroid profile and hormonal assay.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How are symptoms of premature ejaculation treated ? 23 hours later
Doc,

As i said before i have already treied evrything like - thnking abt something else, pressing the head of penis, start stop method.etc etc

I have done all the test like diabetes, thyroid etc, evrything is normal in those test.

Please suggest some medication as i have asked before too, i need the of the medication for - desensitizing creams and SSRI drugs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors)

PLease tell me some names.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Antidepressants (SSRI's) that are commonly used for premature ejaculation include clomipramine (Anafranil), fluoxetine (Prozac) and sertraline (Lustral).

However they should be used under medical supervision because these are powerful drugs that can last a long time in the body, and have a considerable list of potential side-effects.

Desensitizing creams containing local anesthetic agents can also be useful in some men with premature ejaculation but use it under a doctor's guidance.

Follow-up: How are symptoms of premature ejaculation treated ? 7 hours later
Please tell me few names for Desensitizing creams ??

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Some examples of desensitizing creams are lignocaine, Durex Desensitizing Lubricant, Enlast cream etc

They should also be used under medical guidance and under prescription to avoid any untoward side effects.