Ask a Dentist   »  

How are stress fractures treated ?

My ankle kept swelling and hurting. I had an x-ray. Nothing showed up. The ankle kept swelling and hurting. I had a nuclear test. They found a tiny hairline fracture at the very bottom of my tibia at the ankle. This was in March, 2011. I wore an air cast for 4 weeks, and avoided physical activity except walking around at school. Gradually, my ankle stopped hurting and swelling. Ever since my air cast came off, whenever I walk or stand more than an hour or so during the day, my ankle still swells up and hurts. By the time I am in bed at night, it hurts enough to cry. It is now August, and this is STILL happening. What might be some causes of the swelling and pain?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
The hairline fracture you had without any history of trauma or injury was most likely a stress fracture. Such kind of fractures usually happen due to calcium deficiency at your age.
Standing for one hour continuously is a stress enough to reinjure that old fracture site.
I would advise you to start a calcium and calcitriol supplementation in consultation with your orthopaedician. You need to rule out a repeat fracture and assess the the extent of callus formation at the previous fracture site.
Meanwhile avoid weight bearing on your ankle. Take a diet XXXXXXX in calcium and you can have mild pain killers like acetaminophen to relieve your pain.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: How are stress fractures treated ? 43 minutes later
I drink about three glasses of milk every day. I have been doing this for at least the past 8 years. Should that be enough calcium?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Your calcium intake seems to be sufficient. Now you need to have calcitriol sachets prescribed from your orthopaedician.
Wishing you an early recovery.