How are sore throat and low grade fever treated ?

hello. For the last month I have been fighting a slight sore throat and low grade fever. After 2 rounds of antibiotic it came back. Now my muscles in my back around my ribs are sore and the top of my head tender. I have these red itchy bumps that are coming up around joints such as my knees toes fingers. They are hot to the touch. I cannot figure out what is wrong. I am a male 32 years old and in good health before feeling like this.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 25 hours later

Your query has been sent to one of the best XXXXXXX Medicine Specialist In our specialist panel.

The specialist is asking for some more time to answer your query.Kindly do bear with us and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and the delay.

Thanks .
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 days later

There are many skin and systemic conditions which can present with such symptoms. Important possibilities which need further investigations are :

1) Viral illnesses which may present with fever and red, itchy bumps or rashes are the commonest.

2) Osler's nodes which are caused by the deposition of immune complexes. It is important to rule out any subacute bacterial endocarditis (SABE) and systemic lupus erythematosus( SLE) in these conditions.

In SABE, Patients present with a fever that lasts several days to 2 weeks. Nonspecific symptoms are cough, shortness of breath, joint pain and abdominal or flank pain or diarrhea.

You may need an ECHO of the heart to be done to rule it out.

Apart from that, antinuclear antibody (ANA) testing and anti-extractable nuclear antigen form the mainstay of testing for SLE.

Since the bumps are painful, you need to get a FNAC of the lumps and a viral and bacterial culture also done.

Complete blood count and a blood culture should be done to rule out systemic causes as well.

You should consult a physician and a dermatologist in this regards and get all these investigations done to rule out these two prime possibilities.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.