How are sebaceous cysts on the nose treated ?

Question
i have small sebaceous cyst on my nose, it secreted white material even after 1 year of having it. I had it removed in a conservative manner by a dermatologist, but it recurred. The doctor repeated it a week ago but with much deeper incision to get the cyst that's a little bit embedded in my nose, He cauterized it. And it left a hole on my nose... I'm very worried..will the skin grow back somehow? Please help!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Beauty & Cosmetics

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 minutes later

I can understand your concern for the cosmetic effects of the removal of the sebaceous cyst. Since you have had the cyst on the face, to have minimal scarring of the area, it is best to follow minimally invasive procedure of surgical excision.

However now since you have a hole and a XXXXXXX incision, it can lead to atrophic scar which are depressed and cause a valley or hole in the skin. If the skin grows back, it will be to a little extent only.

To treat this cosmetic problem, the following methods are useful:

1. A filler should be used at the site of the atrophic scar. Collagen or other filler substances can be injected under the surface of the skin to treat the scar. However, results will typically only last three to six months.

2. If the scar is a little hole and is minimal, microdermabrasion can be done. The tiny particles in a vacuum tube gently scrape away the top layer of the scar and stimulate the growth of new cells.

3. Laser resurfacing can be done. Most commonly used are the carbon dioxide laser, the yellow light laser and the erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet (Er:YAG) laser.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: How are sebaceous cysts on the nose treated ? 35 minutes later
i had a wart cauterization before on the back of my big toe and it left a big hole on it after the cauterized skin fell off. I can generally place the tip of my little finger on the hole. but after awhile (because i did not pay attention to it), I realized that the skin grew back, as if there has been no hole on it. The toe is the same as before. Does it apply to the scar on my nose? I understand that it will not grow back totally, but will the skin somehow grow, so that the scar won't be too deep?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 36 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

"Every individual's skin behaves differently to the scars".

As mentioned above, if the skin grows back in the atrophic scar then it may be to a little extent. This basically depends on the depth of the scar and hole. If it is superficial then probably the skin will grow back. But if the hole is XXXXXXX then you may need any of the treatment options mentioned above.

Sometimes in a XXXXXXX scar, there may be partial filling of the skin due to skin growth and then for the remaining scar you may need these treatment options.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: How are sebaceous cysts on the nose treated ? 14 hours later
do you have any advise on what vitamins to take to speed the skin growth?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

For the scars vitamin E and vitamin C creams have proven very useful. You can also take vitamin C supplements or foods XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.