How are renal stones cured ?

Dear Dr. Van V. Shantharam,
My Name is "Garima", I am from India. Please find the general detail(s) given below along with the concern
Height - 168 cm
Weight - 55 Kg
Medical History - Previously in 2007 I was going through a chronic pain on my back right side which continued to my right leg. At that time I was suggested few blood test and a kindney test - DTPA and the result was ok; In Reports Left kidney function was 53% and Right was 47.5% along with a Remark stating "MILDLY CORTICAL IMPAIRMENT".
Then for past 1 Year there was occasional pain. But currently for past few weeks I am experiencing pain on the same side i.e. Lower back right till legs.
I would really appreciate if you can suggest what all can be done to resolve.

Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later

Back pain which continues till the right leg is less likely to be due a renal cause. The more common cause of such a pain is a degenerative disc disease. The other common causes include-

• Nerve root syndromes are those that produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration

Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain includes myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.

• Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis

• Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning.

• Renal stone.

I would advise you to have MRI of the spine under the guidance of your orthopaedician for proper diagnosis and further treatment of your problem.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.