How are random hiccups treated ?

Hi have random 'squeaks'. What is it or what is it caused by?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

I would like to know some more details of the problem you have like:

1)What exactly do you mean by squeaks?
2)Do you mean that you have colicky bowel pains?
3)Is it correlated with any diarrhea or vomiting?

Please write your problem in detail along with the available investigation reports and I am available to assist you further.

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: How are random hiccups treated ? 12 hours later
Its more of a random Hiccup that comes and goes about once an hour some times more. No pain except for a sharp intake of air. And no Diarrhea or vomiting though I do go number 2 at least twice a day.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later

Random hiccups are mainly caused by irritation of the diaphragm either due to nervous irritation or due to excessive eating causing excessive stomach dilatation. It is a harmless thing and you need not worry about it.

A hiccup once in a while if it is not disturbing you is just like an exercise of your respiratory muscle diaphragm.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.