How are peptic ulcers and costochondritis treated ?

My chest feels heavy in the center and I have a prickly feeling across my chest. I have kind of a hoarse cough every so often. It feels like a pole going through frm front to back.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 minutes later

Three possibilities are possible for your symptoms. These include:

1)     Costochondritis: which is an inflammation of the joints in your chest. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding more serious causes of chest pain that are related to the heart and lungs and there is no specific test for this. But people have reported improvement after applying warm compresses and taking peptic ulcers or acid reflux. Manometry studies and an upper GI endoscopy can confirm the diagnosis.

3)     Given your history of cough, it is important to rule out any lung causes like bronchitis as well. It is better to get a CT chest and pulmonary function tests done to rule out any lung causes.

Till you get these investigations done from a physician, follow these treatment measures:

1)     Avoid alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, chocolate or spicy or greasy foods and instead take cold foods preferably liquids like milk and yoghurt.

2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

3)     You may also need antacids and proton pump inhibitor drugs for controlling the stomach acid.

4)     Application of warm compresses also helps in case it is costochondritis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.