Ask a Urologist   »  

How are open sores on the foreskin treated ?

once, again. I have 2 open sores on my penis under the foreskin . My girlfriend and I recently had vigorous intercourse and it felt as though I'd "rubbed it raw". The next evening, she was very dry, due to a urinary tract infection and I believe that I became infected (creating the sores) from the small cuts or abrasions on my penis. Everything I read say "herpes", but is it necessarily so ?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

Open sores on the foreskin are most likely to be due to Herpes.

The other possibility is injury or Balanitis. Most of other disorders are more benign and do start with a rash or redness.
Genital herpes is a very common disease caused by herpes virus type 2. It results in small, very painful blisters (fluid is inside the lesion), genital irritation, itching, they burst into the sores turns into crust, that scab and heal in about 3 weeks.

Special tests include:

Blood tests, Microscopic examination of tissue scrap from lesions, Viral cell culture test.

Direct clinical examination is essential for diagnosing this condition.

First you need to see a doctor, get a swab test to confirm the diagnosis.

You will have to take a course of antiviral drugs and antibiotics.

Refrain from sex until your infection is resolved.

You need to observe good personal hygiene.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.