How are mouth ulcers cured ?

ENT Specialist
Dear Sir,
My mother has developed some ulcers in her mouth for the past five years. She is not able to eat anything because of this. We have tried lot of docotrs and thier medicines. But there is no use. We have even scanned her throught , but there is nothing to worry. These ulcers have developed because of the heat caused by the various types of tablets daily for the past 20-25 years for her diebetic & other ailments. This is Doctor's findings. Kindly advice me a medicine wchich can cure her mouth ulcers, so that she can at least eat.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: How are mouth ulcers cured ? 20 minutes later
Dear Sir,
Though she has got many other problems, the main problem is that of this mouth ulcers. Because she has almost stopped eating, and you what my be the further consequences if she stops eating permanently. Other problem like BP, Sugar, general weakness, etc are being taken care of us by the concerned local doctors. But this one problem of mouth ulcers is worrying me a lot. Not that we have not tried. At least 10 ENT specialists we might have contacted in the last 5 years. Every Doctor has given either Tablets, syrup, ointment, chewing tablets. But none have given us any impovement. Kindly suggest us in this regard.
I will be veru thankful to you.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 12 minutes later

Well, from your history it is clear that there is no organic cause behind these oral ulcers. The cause for these ulcers are numerous. Now, let me explain something on this topic.

The oral ulcers can be due to many reasons like -
1. Drug Allergy.
2. Fungal Infection
3. Bacterial Infection
4. Vitamin Deficiency
5. Carcinometous
6. Traumatic
7. Auto Immune

Now, some details about each of them-

1. Drug Allergy- It is a common entity and is secondary to certain groups of antibiotics like aminoglycosides, oral hypoglycemic like glibenclimade, NSAID which includes pain killers etc. In such type of ulcers, other systemic and local examination of patient comes out to be normal. Most Probably this may be your mother's provisional diagnosis.

2. Bacterial and Fungal Infection- Fungal ulcers are known as Oral Thrush and the most common causes are chronic infections, immunodeficiency states like diabetes etc. Such type of ulcers are usually preceded by bacterial infection and are very painful in nature.

3. Deficiency ulcers- These are commonly known as Apthus ulcers, extremely painful, acute in onset and red inflammed oral cavity. Mainly due to Vitamin B and Zinc deficiency.

Treatment Options-

1. Avoidance of causative Factor- For this try to avoid spicy and oily food stuff. Avoid mineral water intake.

2. Use some astringent with anaesthetic mouth paste like mucopain gel to apply it locally in the oral cavity at least thrice a day before meals.

3. Take vitamin and mineral supplementation.

4. Drink plenty of water to maintain hydration of the body.

5. Betadine gargles diluted in water at least thrice a day after meals to maintain oral hygiene.

Try these measures for 15 days and I am sure she will be benefited from this. Hope this answer will help you.

Hope i have answered your query. I am ready for the future follow ups (if any).