How are migraines cured ?

Hi Doctor,
I am a Software Engineer age 28 Male, Married and I am suffering from Migraine for last 6 years now. I get migraine with XXXXXXX it generally lasts for 15 to 20 minutes after which I get a mild headache on one side of my head. I have not taken any kind of medicine for typical Migraine till now, also I try my best to avoid Disprin or Combiflame as I am able to bear the pain. The worst part is the after affects of Migrain like dullness (I hate dullness, Can I do anything to reduce this dullness?). I have tried to find out the trigger for my Migraine which I think is Gas, Neck Pain, some food items and stress (Can these 3 be the Migraine Trigger?) On an average I get Migraine once a month. Do you think I should be going for any kind of checkup?
I have started with Yoga to fight with it.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 hours later
Hi Thakoreneelabh,

Migraine is one of the common headaches. Few people suffer from pre migraine XXXXXXX and post migraine syndrome or hangover. You seem to be suffering from post migraine hangover. Nevertheless I would advice you on evaluation and treatment.

You are right in identifying the trigger factor. As per assumption it can be gas,indigestion also and you need to avoid them as much as possible. Please note other factors which can trigger the headache.

It would be better to go for some basic check up irrespective of the number, frequency and severity of the headaches / post migraine hangovers and take treatment under their guidance rather than over the counter medications. They are often more effective than self medications.
A physician / neurophysician in your city and get examination and basic investigation done.

As far as treatment, we would look at the whole event rather than post migrane hangovers alone, though you are concerns are only the post migraine dullness. Accordingly you may need two types of drugs. - One set that will prevent attack of migraine and another set of drugs that will relieve the attack of migraine. Use of these medications will benefit you in relieving the symptoms. Treatment is very effective and safe.

Your job profile is such that you must be having good amount of stress which again can be contributory factor. Appropriate destressing measures is also essential in treating this condition.

Plenty of water and good nutrition along with appropriate medications will go in a long way in treating the migraine as well as post migraine hangover.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up.