How are labyrinthitis and sleep disorders treated ?

Hi, I am a 47 year old male. Normally in top health. Only see a dr once a year. Recently I have been getting pressure in my head (not a headache...something more mild..but still pressure) alongside a very shaky feeling, with a feeling of heat, especially in the feet. This seems to occur every day..but not all the time. Usually in the evening, but it is also happening this morning. I believe I may have had this in the past, but now I have it everyday. I have a case of insomnia too..having trouble sleeping at night sometimes. Sometimes only getting 4-5 hrs of sleep. Some pain in the groin area too when this happens. Any suggestion would be most appreciated.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 12 hours later

Thanks for the query,

The pressure in the head and shaking most probably due to Labyrinthitis. This could be due to infection in the middle ear and require to see an E.N.T surgeon.

You would require antiinflammatory and antibiotic for this condition.
For the burning sensation under your feet it could be due to chronic fatigue syndrome or due to supplements or apply ice packs.

You also seem to suffer from insomnia, the causes could be:
Jet lag, physical discomfort working different shifts, stressful life situations (separation, death of a loved one, losing a job, illicit drug use, cigarette smoking, caffeine intake prior to going to bed, alcohol intoxication or withdrawal, or certain medications). Sleep as much as possible to feel rested, then get out of bed. Maintain a regular sleep schedule.

You can prevent this by,
1. Do not drink caffeinated beverages in the afternoon or evening.
2. Do not drink alcohol prior to going to bed.
3. Do not smoke, especially in the evening.
4. Adjust the bedroom environment to induce sleep.
5. Do not go to bed hungry.
6. Resolve stress and anxiety before going to bed.
7. Exercise regularly, but not 4-5 hours prior to bed time.

For the pain in the groin you will need a physical examination because even this might cause insomnia.

Hope you are satisfied with my answer, In case of any doubts, I am available for follow up.