How are irritated hair follicles causing folliculitis treated ?

Im 23 male, for a while I hAve had a itchy genital area never thought I had a STD until recently I also have started to notice tiny red bumps in one and twos randomly on my body thought it was from shaving but not sure they dont hurt and they come and go I m going to get checked but I was curious if you could tell me if it could be bad like uncurible please help and thank you
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 minutes later

From the symptoms that you have described, since the bumps are painless, non itchy, tiny red bumps that come and go, it looks like irritated hair follicles causing folliculitis.

It is caused by irritation and inflammation of the hair follicles. It is usually caused by infections with bacteria and yeasts .
Sometimes it is caused by clogging of pores due to sweat,dirt.

For folliculitis, keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap. Avoid any kind of cosmetics especially greasy cosmetic creams.

It can be avoided by exercising good hygiene. Topical antibiotics like Mupirocin and Neosporin which are usually available over the counter are effective. Application of calamine lotion helps in soothing the skin and decreasing the symptoms.

For the itchy groins, the most likely cause in a young male is fungal infection due to jock itch or tinea cruris.

Treatment consists of topical antifungal cream which may contain miconazole, tolnaftate, terbinafine,ketaconazole and clotrimazole. Some of them are Lamisil, Monistat derm, Mycelex, and Nizoral but they should be used only after a dermatologist’s prescription. Restrict wearing any undergarments at night and during day wear cotton undergarments and loose clothing and as far as possible keep the area dry.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.