How are inflamed hair follicles treated ?

I have a lump at the back of my neck that comes up a few times a year, it has since I was in my twenties, i am 52 now, but Now over the past few years I've been getting what seem to be acne breakout all through my hair at the same time, is it connected, is it shingles or herpes, is it harmless?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 18 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

It is very likely that the lump you are referring to is related to an inflamed hair follicle which can develop into an infected sebaceous cyst. It is not connected to shingles or herpes. It is harmless. I would recommend you continue with judicious daily showers with warm water for 10 to 15 minutes to allow adequate flushing of the oil which naturally can occlude the follicles.

I hope this was an adequate answer to your query. I am available for your followups if needed.

Dr. Robert Galamaga