How are hypertrophic scars treated ?

Question
I have a scar from a wreck (3 1/2 yrs ago) and it all of a sudden has bruised and has knotted up. It is extremely tender to the touch. It has been bruised now for going on a month and I did not hit it on anything. Should I be worried?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Beauty & Cosmetics

Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 2 hours later

You might have developed hypertrophic scar and it may subside by itself a process which can take one year or more. Treatment such as injections of cortisone (steroids) can speed this process.LASER can also be used.
You need physical examination to rule out keloids.You neednot be worried as this is not harmful.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: How are hypertrophic scars treated ? 3 hours later
I am fair skinned and bruise easy. It does not look like a keliod. I would know if I hit it on something because my scars have always been very tender since my wreck and it would have hurt. Thank you for taking the time to look.

Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 48 minutes later
Hi La.dobbins,
Thanks for the query,

If you are bruising easy better to get your CBC,Clotting Time & Bleeding Time done.If they are normal no need to worry.
If your symptoms are troubling you have to consult physician.

wish you good health.