Ask a Dentist   »  

How are hip and wrist fractures treated ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Yes, thank you. I fell head over heels once and landed on my back, twice after that I have fallen backwards (landing on my back). My right hip has been sore for a long time, now it's very sore. After examination & x-rays a doctor I trust told me I need a hip replacement. Have you ever seen other cases where falling backwards affected the hip?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 9 hours later
Hello Jerika,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are on strict bed rest.

Hip and wrist fractures due to trivial falls usually occur in females above 50 years. The bones get weak after a certain age due to which they are prone to fractures.

There is a multicentric approach to treatment of such fractures. The cause of weakness of your bones should be sorted out.

You need to get your Blood calcium, albumin levels and a DEXA scan done. These depict the density/ strength of your bones.

If your bone density is low, you need to be on hormone replacement/ bone forming drugs as well as Calcium and Vitamin D supplements. This will strengthen your bones and prevent further fractures.

The surgery is weighed against your general health, type of fracture and lifestyle. And it varies from surgeon to surgeon too. Hip replacement is a good option at your age, but I can't comment on it unless I see your X-rays.

If you aren't in a hospital right now, please don't bear weight on your affected hip. If you are bed ridden and the surgery date isn't proposed yet, keep moving your feet up and down to avoid XXXXXXX vein clot. A physio would advise you exercises for the same. Avoid bed sores by continuously changing/ rotating your position in bed. Have analgesics prescribed.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further follow up if you have any more.

Wish you good health.

Thank you.